A day to celebrate women on waves, our surf heroes
A day to celebrate the women who came before us, to help build the world we live in where women in sports get a fair(-er) chance, and girls can increasingly be who and what they want to be.
In many places in the world we still have a long way to go, so let’s take today to celebrate those women who put in the hard work, and be inspired to follow in their footsteps.
To name just a few inspiring female surfers, THANK YOU:
- Isabel Latham: Australias first female surfer (1915),
- Margo Oberg: the first female professional surfer in the world (1968),
- Phyllis Odonnell – first womens world champion (1964).
- Mary Ann Hawkins one of the first female surfers in California.
- Marge Calhoun – the first female surfing champion after winning the Makaha International surf contest (1958).
- Layne Beachley – 7 times world champion (from 1999) (the only surfer male or female to win six consecutive times). Layne has and continues to work really hard for womens surfing to get the recognition it deserves.
- Wendy Botha was one of the first women to win multiple world titles and raising the profile of female surfers (1987),
- Pam Burridge was the first Australian women’s world champion (1990),
- Pauline Menczer winning a total of 28 professional events without a major sponsor (like many female surfers on this list) (1993),
- Lisa Anderson pushed the level of womens surfing at the time, to a the next level (1994).
- Keala Kennelly surfs the biggest and gnarliest waves of any female to ever surf. Recently winning barrel of the year (April 2016) award at Tahitis Teahupo’o out of men and women!!. Made history by being the first women to ever do so.
via Instagram: @a_chill_history_of_surf of #phyllisodonnell @laynebeachley and @kealakennely
Female surfers continue raising the level of women’s surfing, such as Stephanie Gilmore, Carissa Moore and Tyler Wright are currently in the forefront of an extremely talented and exciting Women’s WSL tour. These ladies continue to raise the bar and promote women’s surfing and build the recognition for women’s surfing.And there’s an extensive trail of talented and frothing up and comers from all around the world right behind the WSL pushing the limits and raising the bar of the future of women’s surfing yet again.
THANKS to all these amazing women!
Does this make you want to plan your next surftrip? We’d love to see you on our Surf Getaways!
Check out our upcoming Ladies Surf Getaways to Fiji
or Byron Bay
Our Ladies Surfing Getaways are designed for individuals or groups of like-minded ladies who are looking for that perfect surfing escape.
or get in touch to help you plan your Custom Getaway, available to any small group or family.
We have teamed up with Byron Bay’s most respected and experienced tour and activity providers to enable you to explore and experience as much as you would like at the pace of your choosing. Surf Getaways can tailor make the ultimate Byron Bay holiday with any combination of activities to satisfy every traveller.
Whether you have little or no surfing experience, or you are a seasoned enthusiast, our personalised coaching programs, led by Jenny Boggis and Serena Adams, will significantly improve your surfing and your confidence in the water. Perfectly combining the finest accommodation with the ideal dose of surfing stoke and indulgent pleasures, our Ladies Surf Getaways will guarantee you the ultimate holiday memories to last a lifetime!