Why surfing and yoga are so compatible
As they say, the best way to get better at surfing: is to go surfing! But there are many land based activities that can support your body being fitter, stronger, more flexible, and ready to get more waves, and yoga is definitely one of them.
Physical strength, balance and flexibility
Surfing and yoga complement each other physically in a great way in that they both focus on and require strength, balance and flexibility. The right sequence of yoga poses is the perfect warm up before a surf session, or for restorative purpose after a long surf session. Especially yoga poses that focus on your lower back, core, shoulder and leg strength and flexibility, can support you to become a stronger and more agile surfer.
Mental clarity, breath and focus
In addition to the physical element, the mental clarity yoga aspire to achieve can also help your surfing. The focus on breathing and staying with the breath even when going through challenging poses and sequences can assist you when going out in bigger waves and experiencing wipe-out, hold downs and challenging paddle-outs! The teachings in yoga about being non judgmental, finding your focus and clearing your mind can also be a great tool when trying to learn to surf and be accepting of the time it takes to improve, not to get frustrated and keep on catching waves rather than give up.
If you’re not experienced with yoga, it is always a good start to take yoga classes with a teacher to learn the basics and right alignments. Once you have those down and prefer to practice at home, there are plenty of online resources to find the right online platform to do guided online yoga classes.
Online classes for surfing yogis
Find below a list of resources with yoga poses, sequences, and classes that focus on yoga for surfers.
- The Inertia – have a number of great videos with ‘yoga for surfers’ sequences – focusing on core strength, lower back stability, and shoulder strength:
- Peggy Hall is one of the pioneers in yoga for surfing and brought out her Yoga For Surfers videos before dvd’s existed. With yoga being thousands of years old, the core poses that support your surfing are just as timeless as Peggy’s Yoga for Surfers sequences.
- Yoga Glo is a paid platform with a free trial, and you can find the right yoga class for you based on searches on duration, style, body parts and focus, and they even have a collection of classes specifically designed for surfers!
Some other great yoga for surfers blogs we found:
- www.surfertoday.com: the best yoga poses for surfers
- www.surfer.com: how to save your surfing with yoga
- www.yogajournal.com: yoga for surfers
- www.schooloftheworld.org: 10 best yoga poses for surfers
- coolerlifestyle.com: the ultimate yoga sequence every surfer should practice
Ladies Surf Getaways yoga classes
Our Ladies Surf Getaways include daily yoga practice hosted at the resort to get you ready for the waves and to restore your body after a long session in the water.
Does this make you want to plan your next surftrip? We’d love to see you on our Surf Getaways!
Check out our upcoming Ladies Surf Getaways to Fiji
or Byron Bay
Our Ladies Surfing Getaways are designed for individuals or groups of like-minded ladies who are looking for that perfect surfing escape.
or get in touch to help you plan your Custom Getaway, available to any small group or family.
We have teamed up with Byron Bay’s most respected and experienced tour and activity providers to enable you to explore and experience as much as you would like at the pace of your choosing. Surf Getaways can tailor make the ultimate Byron Bay holiday with any combination of activities to satisfy every traveller.
Whether you have little or no surfing experience, or you are a seasoned enthusiast, our personalised coaching programs, led by Jenny Boggis and Serena Adams, will significantly improve your surfing and your confidence in the water. Perfectly combining the finest accommodation with the ideal dose of surfing stoke and indulgent pleasures, our Ladies Surf Getaways will guarantee you the ultimate holiday memories to last a lifetime!